Wednesday 18 August 2010

Politics & Baseball


Today, we experienced many things!

In the morning at 11 am, an American politician came to the office!! He smiled kindly and was so friendly. We took a picture with him. My first impression of him was that he was like a grandfather. Now, I can understand why I felt so. He recruits volunteers and meets his supporters and people in his constituency in person. He cherishes communicating with people face to face. I felt like I had met him before. In contrast, other candidates broadcast their message on TV commercials to get a vote. TV commercials do have a big impact however, If I were a voter, I would like a person who communicates face to face with the people.

Now I realize that different people have different values and ways of thinking about politics. In my opinion, a person for the job is the person who cherishes people's heart, not power or profit. We have many answers to help something. But I think it is important to choose our answers by looking into our heart. For this, humanity is necessary.

After working, we went to a baseball stadium. We watched the Astoros VS N.Y. Metz. It was exciting for us. Vendors were working around the stadium. One was selling and singing. Another was telling jokes. I've never seen that situation in Japan! Since I came to America, I was surprised that each person has their own identity. And they are proud of their identities. This is one reason why various racial and cultural groups can live in America together. Japan should follow America on that point.

We have watched many things in America. But the treasure of America is not baseball or the Statue of Liberty, BUT people living in America. Americans make America. Sarah, again, thank you very much. You took us to many places.

by
Tom

1 comment:

  1. Hello from Hitomi Sakamoto!
    I read Tom's impression about American people with great interest.
    Your experiences are so valuable.
    I also thank Sarah very much for realizing this project. She answered Aya's request and thought about this internship. She's great. Please thank her for me. Enjoy the rest of yorr stay in Texas.

    ReplyDelete